The 2019 CRS Rally School is going to be on Saturday February 9th, with the rallycross on Sunday February 10th!
Click here to register!
The California Rally Series is dedicated to helping new drivers and co-drivers get into this fantastic sport! Run consecutively since 1998, along with the oldest running rallycross in the country, we balance a day in the classroom with in-car seat time riding along with experienced competitors.
- Intense half-day classroom event with activities designed to teach you stage rally and rallycross.
- How to get started in Performance Rallying and rallycross from basic to advanced topics.
- Understanding controls and timing, the time card, and activities.
- Split activities for drivers and co-drivers (break out sessions):
- Drivers get seat time on our practice course with experienced rally drivers.
- Co-Drivers practice reading notes on a rally stage with experienced co-drivers.
- One on one in-car instruction from National Championship Competitors.
- Designed to give you the ‘feel’ of real competition!
This is a great opportunity to show a new driver, co-driver, service crew member, or spouse what rally is all about. There is no one involved in the sport that will not benefit from this workshop.
Introduction to Rallycross: Experienced, successful rallycross drivers explain the types of rallycross events, how to prepare your car, things to look for in a course, different driving styles, how to improve, and sources of information.
Your entry includes a working sack lunch Saturday afternoon (the learning continues over the munching) and Mexican buffet Saturday night. You do not need to bring any vehicle to take part in the classroom part of the course. Drivers and riders must provide their own vehicles for the rally / rallycross driving practice. You may use any reasonable hard-top street automobile, with a minimum of stock over the shoulder seat belts, for the drivers practice sessions as they are on the same level smooth dirt parking lot as the Sunday Rallycross.
- Co-Drivers need no special equipment – they will be riding in instructor vehicles.
- Drivers should bring a street car that they are not afraid to get dirty!
- Drivers are free to share car with friends (no more than 3 per car please).
- Street tires with some tread left is all you need. Stop and pump them up to max pressure when you get into town. Low pressure tires, or tires with extremely thin sidewalls are not recommended.
- A Snell 2000 Certified helmet (motorcycle or car type). These can be found used for less than $50. The school has some loaner helmets available, but it may reduce your practice time waiting for a helmet.
ONLINE ENTRY AVAILABLE HERE
PLUS: Students of the CRS Rally School get a FREE CRS Membership ($30)! Reduced Sunday Rallycross entry for only $40!
Rally Team Management: How do we plan for our first rally? How much sleep is enough? What should we eat before the event? How do we plan service breaks? These and many more questions are covered in this nuts and bolts discussion and rally planning.
Co-Driving Workshop: Top Rally co-drivers teach the basics and advanced skills of navigation. Topics also include planning, preparation, and controlling your driver. Route instructions, timing cards, and control procedures are covered in detail. All the basics every co-driver should know will be covered. In-Car footage from actual competition vehicles will be used to illustrate different co-driver styles and techniques. A unique “in-door” rally course will be setup for teams to practice control operations.
Practice Stage Navigation: Teams will set out with experience Co-Drivers on several practice stages to work on navigation and co-driving skills in a “real world” environment. These sections will be on actual paved and dirt roads but at far below competition speed. Teams will pass through all types of controls and complete timing functions at each.
Rally Driving Workshop: Top national level drivers discuss the intricacies of rally driving. Each driver provides insight into there unique style of driving. Topics include: driving conditions; front wheel, rear wheel, and four wheel drive techniques; driving at night and in the dust; knowing your own pace; and much more.
Practice Driving: Drivers will have the opportunity to work closely with experienced drivers riding along. A safe practice area where drivers can work to develop their skill by repeatedly practicing the same corner over and over. New drivers can also ride with experienced drivers in their own vehicles or allow the experience driver to demonstrate in the students car.
Instructors and Discussion Leaders: Top California and National Drivers and Co-Drivers are lending their skill to present this school.
Other Developments Planned for the School: The Rally School Team is always working on new ideas to make this event even better. We welcome your suggestions. Please contact Kristopher Marciniak at firstname.lastname@example.org or 646-535-4240